[Open-FCoE] Reg: Working with FC-GW

Joe Eykholt jeykholt at cisco.com
Tue Apr 21 16:54:01 UTC 2009

Rijesh Kunhi Parambattu wrote:
> Hi,
>
>    I am trying to work out a test environment with the following the
> topology
>

> Cisco Nexus FCoE Switch <------->FC-GW <------------>  Tachynet Driver
> <---------> Atto HBA ,<----------> FC HBA Initator From Emulex.

This may take some tachynet driver mods, since it was intended to send out
FLOGIs.  It might just work, though.  I haven't tried it.  In this case
you would say
fcgw -i ethX -f efcY.   The Nexus 5000 can be outfitted with FC ports to
talk to the
initiator directly, of course.

> Basically I am trying to demonstrate the interopability of FCoE switch
> with FC Initiator/Target. I have not got the hardware ready, but want to
> know whether this
>
> Topology will work? Technically Atto card should be transparent to FC2
> and above functionalities, so that any Link services (LS) commands and
> FC-CT are just a "pass through" to Tachynet driver ,and Atto HBA should
> not have any problems in Interconnecting though they work as Initiators.

The tachynet driver does just pass through FC-2 and above, but needs to
interpret some of the
FLOGI to set up buffer-to-buffer credits, etc.   So, as it currently
stands it might not work if it
doesn't send a FLOGI to start with.   The driver mods to do what you
want might not be too hard,
but I don't have time.
> Also I am trying to set up, another topology in the following way
>

> Cisco Nexus FCoE Switch <------->  FC-GW <------------>  Tachynet Driver
> <---------> Atto HBA ,<----------> FC Switch from Qlogic.
>
> This topology is to demonstrate the interoperability of VE-Port
> functionality with E-Port through FC-GW
>

> Also let me know whether this topology works out.

The Nexus 5000 doesn't support VE-ports (inter-switch-links) on the FCoE
ports at this point.
There's also the FLOGI issue mentioned above.