[Open-FCoE] CRC errors in target

Joe Eykholt jeykholt at cisco.com
Sat Apr 25 14:40:29 UTC 2009



Karthik G Balaji wrote:
> I am trying to bring up sw-target to the latest kernel. My setup is as
> follows,
> 
> Initiator  - 2.6.30-rc2 (From linux git tree)
> Target  - Trying to build it in 2.6.29.1
> Mode  - Point to Point
> 
> After the entire setup when I initiate a connection , the target drops all
> the FLOGI packets due to CRC errors. I observed the following messages in
> the target machine(After compiling with debug mode). Initiator seems to be
> sane and it retries continuously and hence these messages occur repeatedly
> in the target machine.
> 
> Is this occuring due to the compatibility issues between the latest
> initiator and target ?
> 
> 
> Apr 25 02:06:19 kb-xen kernel: [10544.396376] frame with CRC error 010101 ->
> 010102 xids 014c ffff ELS req ELS PLOGI
> Apr 25 02:06:19 kb-xen kernel: [10544.400015] fcoe_xmit       000000 ->
> fffffe xids 00c4 ffff ELS req ELS FLOGI
> Apr 25 02:06:19 kb-xen kernel: [10544.400540] fcoe_rcv: skb_info: len:166
> data_len:0 head:c7578000 data:c7578020 tail:c75780c6 end:c7578100 sum:0
> dev:eth0
> Apr 25 02:06:19 kb-xen kernel: [10544.400549] fcoe_percpu_receive_thread:
> skb_info: len:166 data_len:0 head:c7578000 data:c7578020 tail:c75780c6
> end:c7578100 sum:0 dev:eth0
> Apr 25 02:06:19 kb-xen kernel: [10544.400553] fcoe_percpu_receive_thread:
> dropping frame with CRC error
> Apr 25 02:06:19 kb-xen kernel: [10544.400556] frame with CRC error fffffe ->
> 000000 xids 00c4 014d ELS rep ELS LS_ACC
> Apr 25 02:06:19 kb-xen kernel: [10544.400675] fcoe_rcv: skb_info: len:66
> data_len:0 head:e586e000 data:e586e020 tail:e586e062 end:e586e100 sum:0
> dev:eth0
> Apr 25 02:06:19 kb-xen kernel: [10544.400683] fcoe_percpu_receive_thread:
> skb_info: len:66 data_len:0 head:e586e000 data:e586e020 tail:e586e062
> end:e586e100 sum:0 dev:eth0
> Apr 25 02:06:19 kb-xen kernel: [10544.400686] fcoe_percpu_receive_thread:
> dropping frame with CRC error
> Apr 25 02:06:19 kb-xen kernel: [10544.400690] frame with CRC error 010101 ->
> 010102 xids 014e ffff ELS req ELS LOGO
> Apr 25 02:06:19 kb-xen kernel: [10544.400893] fcoe_rcv: skb_info: len:166
> data_len:0 head:ed683000 data:ed683020 tail:ed6830c6 end:ed683100 sum:0
> dev:eth0
> Apr 25 02:06:19 kb-xen kernel: [10544.400901] fcoe_percpu_receive_thread:
> skb_info: len:166 data_len:0 head:ed683000 data:ed683020 tail:ed6830c6
> end:ed683100 sum:0 dev:eth0
> Apr 25 02:06:19 kb-xen kernel: [10544.400905] fcoe_percpu_receive_thread:
> dropping frame with CRC error
> Apr 25 02:06:19 kb-xen kernel: [10544.400908] frame with CRC error 010101 ->
> 010102 xids 014f ffff ELS req ELS PLOGI
> Apr 25 02:06:21 kb-xen kernel: [10546.395430] fcoe_rcv: skb_info: len:50
> data_len:0 head:ed687400 data:ed687420 tail:ed687452 end:ed687500 sum:0
> dev:eth0
> Apr 25 02:06:21 kb-xen kernel: [10546.395442] fcoe_percpu_receive_thread:
> skb_info: len:50 data_len:0 head:ed687400 data:ed687420 tail:ed687452
> end:ed687500 sum:0 dev:eth0
> Apr 25 02:06:21 kb-xen kernel: [10546.395446] fcoe_percpu_receive_thread:
> dropping frame with CRC error
> Apr 25 02:06:21 kb-xen kernel: [10546.395450] frame with CRC error 010101 ->
> 010102 xids 014c ffff BLS abort BLS op 2d
> Apr 25 02:06:21 kb-xen kernel: [10546.395682] fcoe_rcv: skb_info: len:50
> data_len:0 head:ed79e800 data:ed79e820 tail:ed79e852 end:ed79e900 sum:0
> dev:eth0
> Apr 25 02:06:21 kb-xen kernel: [10546.395689] fcoe_percpu_receive_thread:
> skb_info: len:50 data_len:0 head:ed79e800 data:ed79e820 tail:ed79e852
> end:ed79e900 sum:0 dev:eth0
> Apr 25 02:06:21 kb-xen kernel: [10546.395693] fcoe_percpu_receive_thread:
> dropping frame with CRC error
> Apr 25 02:06:21 kb-xen kernel: [10546.395696] frame with CRC error 010101 ->
> 010102 xids 014e ffff BLS abort BLS op 4
> Apr 25 02:06:21 kb-xen kernel: [10546.395942] fcoe_rcv: skb_info: len:50
> data_len:0 head:ed683400 data:ed683420 tail:ed683452 end:ed683500 sum:0
> dev:eth0
> Apr 25 02:06:21 kb-xen kernel: [10546.395951] fcoe_percpu_receive_thread:
> skb_info: len:50 data_len:0 head:ed683400 data:ed683420 tail:ed683452
> end:ed683500 sum:0 dev:eth0
> Apr 25 02:06:21 kb-xen kernel: [10546.395955] fcoe_percpu_receive_thread:
> dropping frame with CRC error
> Apr 25 02:06:21 kb-xen kernel: [10546.395959] frame with CRC error 010101 ->
> 010102 xids 014f ffff BLS abort BLS op b0
> Apr 25 02:06:21 kb-xen kernel: [10546.396029] fcoe_rcv: skb_info: len:166
> data_len:0 head:ed685000 data:ed685020 tail:ed6850c6 end:ed685100 sum:0
> dev:eth0
> Apr 25 02:06:21 kb-xen kernel: [10546.396038] fcoe_percpu_receive_thread:
> skb_info: len:166 data_len:0 head:ed685000 data:ed685020 tail:ed6850c6
> end:ed685100 sum:0 dev:eth0
> Apr 25 02:06:21 kb-xen kernel: [10546.396043] fcoe_percpu_receive_thread:
> dropping frame with CRC error
> Apr 25 02:06:21 kb-xen kernel: [10546.396046] frame with CRC error 010101 ->
> 010102 xids 0150 ffff ELS req ELS PLOGI
> Apr 25 02:06:21 kb-xen kernel: [10546.400012] fcoe_xmit       000000 ->
> fffffe xids 00c6 ffff ELS req ELS FLOGI
> 
> 
> I tried to compare the fcoe_percpu_receive_thread() function of the latest
> initiator with the same function present in the target. But I am not able to
> figure out the error. Please help me to debug this. I have attached the
> relevant dump from wireshark with this mail. That has the packet contents
> while these error messages are displayed.

It looks like the length may be the problem, or the target is looking for
the CRC in the wrong place.  The wireshark info shows it read 42000000,
which is an EOF code value which would normally follow the CRC.

So, it looks like it's looking 4 bytes past the CRC, and
perhaps also using 4 bytes more than it should to compute the CRC.

Let us know what it turns out to be.

> 
> If any other info needed, I will be glad to provide.
> 
> - Karthik
> 
> 
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> 
> _______________________________________________
> devel mailing list
> devel at open-fcoe.org
> http://www.open-fcoe.org/mailman/listinfo/devel



More information about the devel mailing list