[Open-FCoE] fcoe-utils tagging

Love, Robert W robert.w.love at intel.com
Thu Dec 17 01:56:16 UTC 2009

A few things are occurring right now that have made me think about the
fcoe-utils tagging. These things are that Lucy and Eric are making
changes to multiple user space tools and that I'd like to have a 2.6.32
tarball for the "Downloads" page that has up-to-date code.

Eric and Lucy's changes just made me think about whether each tool
should have its own version or if there should be a common version.
Looking at Open-iSCSI as a model it seems to make sense to have one
version that's shared by all of the tools. Chris has just published
a patch to accomplish this during our build process. With this patch
we can increment the fcoe-utils version in configure.ac and it will
be imported as each tool's version string. I think that every time
this is incremented we should add a tag to the repository reflecting
that new version (we've been doing that already).

As I said, I'd also like the 2.6.32 tarball to have current code. The
problem is that a few applications have been added that require
exported kernel header files (for passthrough) and these exported
header files will not be available until 2.6.33. This means that I
can't simply grab the tip and create a tarball.

What I intend to do is to commit Chris' patch quickly (i.e. tomorrow).
I don't think Chris' patch will be controversial, but if it is,
please speak up now. I'm then going to generate a patch that modifies
the Makefile to not build any tools dependent on the kernel header
files. I'll tag that patch v2.6.32 and generate the tarball. Then
I'll revert that patch so that the fcoe-utils tip builds the
passthrough applications against a >2.6.32 kernel.

The bottom line is that I'll be committing Chris' patch quickly and
that I'll be reverting some Makefile changes and then reverting that
patch immediately. I'll also add a few new tags to the repo. I
expect the resultant fcoe-utils repo to look like this-

v2.6.33 - 1.0.10 - <some change>       <--- in the future
                 - <some change>
                 - <some change>
                 - revert last patch   <--- tomorrow
v2.6.32 - 1.0.9  - Remove kernel header dependent apps from build
          1.0.8  - Chris' versioning patch
                 - Current tip (Eric's version patch)

Thanks, //Rob