[Open-FCoE] fcoe-utils tagging

Love, Robert W robert.w.love at intel.com
Thu Dec 17 17:38:52 UTC 2009

The main thing I don't like is fcoeadm and fcoemon having different
versions. I checked the version strings on iscsid, iscsiadm and the
iscsi package on a SuSE system and they were all the same version.
It then seemed logical to have the repo tagged with that version
as well and to extend that version to the secondary tools.

I guess that I look at it as release versioning and not functional
versioning. Also, if everything shares a version then it's easy to
debug compatibility issues.

>One minor issue is the fcc script.  Editing the version in the script
>seems
>wrong if the script hasn't changed.   I suppose the package version
>could be
>put inside the fcc script as part of the build, but it's unnecessary as
>it stands alone and doesn't need support from the rest of the package.

Would you be happy if fcc just didn't share the global version? You can
update its version as you like.

BTW: Chris' patch only touches applications that were reporting
versions. At least one app, fcping I think, didn't print a version at
all. There may need to be a later effort to add version strings to some
of the smaller tools.

>It's also nice to be able to know that if the versions are different,
>then
>something really changed in the tool itself, not just in the packaging
>or
>in some unrelated tool.

That information will remain in the git repository. I'd tag the repo
with the version number as well as bump the configure.ac. So, if you
wanted to know the difference between 1.0.8 and 1.0.9 you could just
use git to determine the difference and look at the patches to see
what had changed.

In the future, we could even get the log of changes between x and y
versions when doing a build and generate a changelog.