[Open-FCoE] [RFC] FIP support

Joe Eykholt jeykholt at cisco.com
Fri Jan 30 20:46:00 UTC 2009

Hi All,

I'm getting ready to resubmit the FIP support patches for the fcoe-fixes tree.
Is it likely to be accepted and integrated?

One issue I'd like comments on is:  where does it live.   The alternatives I
can see are:
	1.  fcoe.ko
	2.  libfc.ko
	3.  fcoe_ctlr.ko

There are two files: fcoe_ctlr.c and fcoe_ctlr.h.   I'm now putting them in the
fcoe.ko module, which makes some sense because FIP is purely FCoE-related,
and libfc should not have transport-specific code in it IMO.  For example,
if there were an FCIP transport, just for sake of argument, we wouldn't
need or want FCoE code loaded in order to run that.

Having it in fcoe.ko, however, causes other LLDs like the fnic driver to load fcoe.ko
even though no fcoe instances would be created so the bulk of the code would be unused.
We would want to make changes so that resources like the per-CPU threads weren't
created just because the module is loaded, perhaps, instead waiting until the first
instance of fcoe was created.

A third alternative is to make yet another module just for FIP, and have both
fcoe.ko and fnic.ko use it.   It seems like it might be too small a piece of
code to allocate a whole module for it.  However, there are some very small modules
like scsi_wait_scan.ko, so why not?

What are your opinions?

	Thanks,
        Joe