[Open-FCoE] Open-FCoE and SCST

Robert Love robert.w.love at intel.com
Mon Jul 13 16:43:14 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-07-09 at 06:29 -0400, Morab_Praveen at emc.com wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> I was reading about configuring FCoE target software on wiki at:
> http://www.open-fcoe.org/openfc/wiki/index.php/FCoE_SW_Target_Quickstart
>
> Just wondering that is it necessary to use SCST or I can use the actual
> backend(example Clariion)

I don't think I understand your question exactly, but I'll try to
answer. The SW target allows you to have a point-to-point connection
with the SW initiator.

Is the Clariion is a FC target?
- If yes, then you'll need a FCF (Fibre Channel Forwarder) (a.k.a a
switch) or something that simulates that HW like the FCGW (Fibre Channel
Gateway).

Is the Clariion a FCoE target? (I don't think this is what you're
looking for)
- If yes, then maybe, but probably not without a FCF. I'm really not
familiar with what FCoE targets are available, but unless an FCoE target
supports point-to-point mode the same way our initiator does it will
need to communicate through the FCF.

Hope this helps,

//Rob

(BTW: Your posting was blocked for moderation because something in the
header matched a SPAM rule. I just went through the mails blocked
pending moderation which is why it was just posted now.)